Our church family was born in the fall of 1951 when five families met together to form Community Memorial Church. At that time, Flagler Beach had a population of about 900 and only one church. These five founding families were led of the Lord to start a new church that allowed "dual membership" - be a member of our church and still hold membership in their church up north. That designation is still in effect today.
Earmarks of Our History
Our first pastor, Reverend R.W. Dickert, held the first worship service at the Flagler Beach School auditorium.
Mr. H.T. Cook heard that we were looking for property on which to build a facility for our newly formed church. He offered two lots that became 915 South Daytona Avenue. This gift of property was contingent upon constructing a church building within one year.
Construction for the church building began in mid-1952, Reverend Dickert also served by helping with his carpentry skills on the project. The church was built debt free and became known as Community Memorial Church.
Reverend Ralph Hubbard was called to be our pastor in 1972 and served the Lord at Community Memorial Church for ten years.
In 1982, Mr. Johnny Capo was called as our third pastor, serving the Lord at Community Memorial Church for seventeen years.
North and south wings which provided five new classrooms were built onto the church in 1982.
In April of 1998, a call was extended to Reverend Bill Elias to be the first full-time pastor of Community Memorial Church. Reverend Elias also holds a degree in Mortuary Science and is a licensed funeral director and embalmer.
Fellowship Hall was remodeled in May 1999. The hall is our gathering place for special social events and Wednesday night Bible Study.
A new kitchen was installed in February 2001.
Community Memorial Church celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 2002.
In October of 2006, a total remodeling and updating of our church sanctuary was completed.
New landscaping and parking lot installations were added in August of 2008.
An architectural study was done to increase seating capacity in the sanctuary and provide additional plans for continued growth.
The Faith Center construction was completed and dedicated in 2011. Our church name was officially changed to Flagler Beach Community Church.
Fellowship Hall was equipped to accommodate overflow attendance.
In June of 2012, adjoining property was purchased for future ministry plans.
The complete rebuilding and renovation of the Sanctuary and Fellowship Hall, "debt free", was accomplished during the first 6 months of 2016. The new construction was dedicated to the Glory of God.